Each candle stands for a universal principle and its expression in the lives and history of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people:
1. Red - The Root of Spirit (Community)
2. Orange - The Fire of Spirit (Eros)
3. Yellow - The Core of Spirit (Self-Esteem)
4. Green - The Heart of Spirit (Love)
5. Blue - The Voice of Spirit (Self-Expression and Justice)
6. Purple - The Eye of Spirit (Wisdom)
7. All Candles - The Crown of Spirit (Spirituality)
They are also based on the chakras, and the idea was developed by Kittredge Cherry and Joe Perez. It is intended as an interfaith festival.
Joe Perez said:
Bridge of Light is an interfaith and omni-denominational cultural and spiritual tradition... The annual winter ritual (now in its fifth year) has helped to draw attention to the positive contributions made by members of the LGBT community in the areas of spiritual growth, inner transformation, and religious leadership.